[R-SIG-Mac]Tcl/tk on OS X Jaguar

Don MacQueen macq@llnl.gov
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 07:58:20 -0800

At 3:23 PM +0100 1/17/03, Fernando Zúñiga wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>We want to use tcl/tk  (tk esp) on a Macintosh to simplify access to
>our R scripts. We have
>the OS X and classic mac version of R (1.6) installed, but it
>doesn't seem to support tcl/tk.

I believe that's correct--or was at one time--perhaps the carbonized
(not just classic) version now supports tcltk.

>We then tried to install the OS X / Darwin version (1.5), but
>although we got a "installation
>succesfully completed" message, we cannot find the R directories,
>binaries, etc.

You might as well go for the latest version, 1.6.2.

On my OS X Mac, I installed the Darwin R from source code, and the
final step, the "make install" step, put things here

[322]% which R
/usr/local/bin/R

and here
[323]% ls /usr/local/lib/R
./           .DS_Store*   COPYING      COPYRIGHTS   NEWS         THANKS
  bin/         etc/         library/     share/      ../
AUTHORS      COPYING.LIB  FAQ          RESOURCES    afm/         doc/
include/
modules/

>Question 1: Do we need the OS X specific version of R for tcl/tk support?
>Question 2: How come the OS X version does not install?

It does install, but it took me several tries to get it right, the
first time I did it.

>We're running a Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) computer, with X11 installed
>and a Mac native tcl/tk.

Your fastest route to tcltk support is probably to get Jan's binaries from here
http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub

I installed tcltk from fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net/) in order
to get tcltk functionality in R, the R I built from sources. But
check Jan's website first.