[R-SIG-Mac]Python, R, Rpy, wxPython updates on gifi

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:25:39 -0800

--Apple-Mail-2-889946395

http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub

The update of the macpython-2.3a archive now includes
/Applications/wxPythonOSX-2.4.0.2, with an application bundle for
pyShell. It also include wxWindowsMac.

The framework Python build contains Numeric, numarray, Rpy (0.3.1),
wxPython,
pyObjc, pygtk.

One nice thing about this is that the following sequence actually works
(both from
pyShell and from PythonIDE)

 >>> from rpy import *
 >>> x=r.seq(100)
 >>> y=r.rnorm(100)
 >>> r.quartz()
 >>> r.plot(x,y)

It produces a scatterplot in the quartz device window that actually
responds
to events, i.e. can be brought to the foreground and so on. And you can
run

 >>> r.demo("graphics")

Another nice thing, of course, is that you can do wxWindows and Cocoa
Programming and
R from the same pyShell or PythonIDE window, and every other thing
Python.

One thing you should NOT do is to try pygtk or the R tcltk package,
because they
still need X11.

My next step is to incorporate PythonCard and build a version of
libR.dylib that
uses tkAqua (Python already uses tkAqua). I'll remove pygtk, until it
can be
compiled with the native Carbon gtk.

By the way, the IDLE in /Applications/MacPython-2.3a currently does not
work.

The combined application you have is, of course, a compromise. It has
quite
a few things (LAPACK, tcl/tk, basic functionality) both on the R and
the Python side,
which is wasteful. The Carbon stuff in Python seems sort of slow. And
Rpy
is no speed daemon either.