[R-SIG-Mac]Using tcltk Widgets in Bioconductor

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 22 11:43:06 MEST 2003

Well, with an X server running, it works fine for me. But just in
case, do

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0

and try again. This should not be necessary, however, if your X11 is
installed properly.

On Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003, at 10:26 US/Pacific, Matthew Fero wrote:

> Since you all are seem to be the Mac experts I thought I'd ask here
> first.  I'd like to use the 'tkWidgets' package which is a part of the
> bioconductor project.  Using Jan de Leeuw's R-1.7.0 build from Gifi in
> Apple's X11 xterm window I get the following error:
>
> > library(tkWidgets)
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>         no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
> Error in .Last.lib(libpath) : Tcl is not loaded
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : tcl/tk package `tcltk' not
> available -- forget about `tkWidgets
>

> I guess one wouldn't expect this to work with ith the "R-console"
> interface from Wan and Iacus running R v.1.6.2 -- Not surprisingly, it
> gives the following error:
>
> > library(tkWidgets)
> Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : tcl/tk package `tcltk' not
> available -- forget about `tkWidgets'!
> In addition: Warning message:
> There is no package called `tcltk' in: library(package, char = TRUE,
> logical = TRUE, warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts,
>

> Does anyone know if it is possible to use the 'tkWidgets' package
> under Mac OSX?
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Matthew Fero
> Clinical Research Division
> Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
> 1100 Fairview Ave. N
> Seattle, WA 98109
> Ph: (206) 667-5065
> Fax: (206) 667-5669
> mfero at fhcrc.org

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au