[R-SIG-Mac]Using tcltk Widgets in Bioconductor

Matthew Fero mfero1 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 11:26:13 MEST 2003

Since you all are seem to be the Mac experts I thought I'd ask here
first.  I'd like to use the 'tkWidgets' package which is a part of the
bioconductor project.  Using Jan de Leeuw's R-1.7.0 build from Gifi in
Apple's X11 xterm window I get the following error:

 > library(tkWidgets)
Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
         no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
Error in .Last.lib(libpath) : Tcl is not loaded
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : tcl/tk package `tcltk' not
available -- forget about `tkWidgets

I guess one wouldn't expect this to work with ith the "R-console"
interface from Wan and Iacus running R v.1.6.2 -- Not surprisingly, it
gives the following error:

 > library(tkWidgets)
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : tcl/tk package `tcltk' not
available -- forget about `tkWidgets'!
In addition: Warning message:
There is no package called `tcltk' in: library(package, char = TRUE,
logical = TRUE, warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts,

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the 'tkWidgets' package under
Mac OSX?

Matthew Fero
Clinical Research Division
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center