[R-SIG-Mac]RAqua

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 15:59:05 -0700

1. In Jaguar /bin/sh is a link to /bin/bash, no longer to /bin/zsh. This
gives problems with some scripts.

2. The recommended startup procedure does not work. Adding
--gui-aqua starts R in the terminal, but does not arrive at
a prompt. This may be related to (1).

On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 05:33 AM, Stefano Iacus wrote:

> I have now finished to write a (prototype) Aqua module for Darwin R.
>
> All that you need is now in today's CVS repository of R-devel. You
> should also wait tomorrow and download the daily R-devel snapshots > from
>
> ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/
>
> because R-devel_2002-09-06.tar.gz does not contain some scripts.
>
> You'll find instructions on how to build, install and launch this
> still experimental version of RAqua that allows the interaction with
> the new Quartz  device "quartz()" and the workspace browser
> "browseEnv(html=FALSE)".
>
> The instructions can be found inside
>
> src/modules/aqua/AquaReadMe.txt
>
> but essentially there are three steps
>
> 1) configure and build
>
> ./configure --with-aqua --without-x
> make
>
> (I'm not sure it --without-x is necessary)
>
> 2) to install "RAqua" in the Applications folder just execute one time
>
> ./AquaInstall
>
> from inside src/modules/aqua directory
>
> 3) to launch "RAqua" type, from anywhere
>
> sh /Applications/RAqua.app/Contents/MacOS/R --gui-aqua
>
> Even if you see the RAqua application in the Applications folder, is
> useless to double click on it.
>
> Building is based on fink stuff, so if you are able to build previous
> versions of Darwin R you should be able to build this one as well.
>

> I do not have Jaguar yet (probably next week, but it will be too
> late), so if any of you can try to build and run this under Jaguar
> I'll be pleased.
>

> General remarks: I released the code in order to stimulate
> contributions from other Darwin R developers. In particular, at
> moment, the R Console is necessary to have a working event manager
> (i.e. responses from the graphic device and other windows).
>
> In the future, as R process event suite is going to change, I can
> hopefully avoid the use of such R Console and use a standard shell but
> I'm also thinking of some other trick for the meanwhile.
>
> RAqua it still marked as "experimental" so don't expect too much.
>
> Stefano

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au