[R-SIG-Mac]still struggling

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:42:47 -0700

Absolutely no reason to feel stupid -- some of us have been fortunate
to have worked on both MacOS and Unix simultaneously for a very long
time (because our servers were Suns and our desktops Mac). We
are obviously very happy with Mac OS X, but we have an unfair advantage.

Maybe this helps. Open the terminal application, then issue the
following
commands

1. curl -f -L -P - -O http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub/R-1.6.0.tar.gz
2. sudo mv R-1.6.0.tar.gz /usr/local/lib
3. sudo tar zxvf  R-1.6.0.tar.gz -C /usr/local/lib
4. sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/R/bin/R /usr/local/bin/R
5. rehash
6. R

Isn't that completely intuitive ? If one of them goes wrong, let me
know.
The first five should work.

On Thursday, Oct 17, 2002, at 10:11 US/Pacific, Jean-Pierre Gattuso
wrote:

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel really stupid and find
> the learning curve of unix pretty steep!

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics
US mail: 8142 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
                  www: http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~deleeuw
====
          Remember, wherever you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
====