[R-SIG-Mac]R for Darwin/X11

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:38:19 -0700

At http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/R/builds you will find the latest builds of
R-patched and R-devel for OS X 10.1. Both use the latest libraries
from Fink, in particular both use a new version of Atlas, fine-tuned
for 10.1.

The main differences between R-patched and R-devel are

1. The differences in  the versions of R, obviously. These are
      substantial.
2. R-devel is compiled with g77 and not with f2c. I assume this
     makes it somewhat faster.
3. R-devel is linked using the new two-level namespace feature of the
     OS X 10.1 linker. Again, this supposedly makes it faster.

If you want to use R-patched as your default R, then copy the whole
directory to your machine and run a "sudo make install" in the
directory. This will put everything in /usr/local.

I don't think it is a good idea to use R-devel as the default R. Just
copy the directory and run  the R script in bin if you want to live
dangerously. Observe that R-devel does not include packages
outside the base -- you have to install them, and you cannot use
the install.packages() function.
===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~deleeuw
           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~deleeuw/sounds/nomatter.au