[R-SIG-Mac]around old MacOS support

Peter Paul Sint sint@oeaw.ac.at
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:15:46 +0100

My experience is that older Macs do not disappear. They end up in the hands of persons who cannot afford newer versions. We gave away old machines to Eastern Europe (at a time when they not yet tried to become members of the European Union) and to third world Africa. Some of it may end up with persons interested in statistics (not in our case but I am not in a statistics department). Before leaving the Carbon version I would like to see a detailled description of how to recompile R in MPW C. (If I understand Stefano, I guess to write such descriptions is not something he especially likes). This would show those inheriting (or installing) R on the older Macs how to compile a larger project which may be useful for them even if they will not work on R development any more. On the other hand some may take up  the task to keep Carbon-R alive for a while longer. This might give some feedback to Stefano (and he MIGHT like to give advice to those persons or continue working on it under those circumstances). As some of those will not have easy access to the Internet/Web, downloadable - offline transferable packages may help.

By the way: I used R a lot to produce and develop a large number of reasonably complex graphics (bar chart variety). For this carbonization of R was a big drop in performance. This seemed not to have been Stefanos fault but the use of the much slower carbonized version of the Waste (graphics) engine. I am only now in the process of switching slowly to OS X and did not start up R there at all. Use of more native graphics will probably help.

Peter Sint

--
Peter Paul Sint (sint@oeaw.ac.at, http://www.iwe.oeaw.ac.at/sint )
RU - Institutional Change and European Integration,