[R-SIG-Mac]Re: CarbonLib 1.2.5

MacStats@mac.com MacStats@mac.com
Sun, 6 May 2001 07:09:22 -0700

Peter wrote

At Sat, 5 May 2001 12:24:10 +0200, Stefano wrote:
>I'm investigating on that. My actual suspect is that CarbonLib 1.2.5 has
>some incompatibility with system 8.6 even if it should not as the Apple
>doc says.
>
>(Of course, in any sense, the best strategy is to update the System to
>9.1 even if it is quite "heavy" on old machines)

CarbonLib 1.2.5 also seems to solve various incompatibility problems
if it's installed under Mac OS 9.0.4. This configuration is also,
however, quite "heavy" compared to any 8.x option. In particular, 72
Mb isn't going to be enough -- OS 9.x just barely runs under 64 Mb,
and really 96 or 128 is necessary to do anything. But as I recall the
memory footprint of 9.04 is a few Mb better than 9.1.

As for performance, just remember the two standard rules for a more
responsive Mac OS system: turn off file sharing and virtual memory.
--
Joel West <joelwest@uci.edu>