[R-SIG-Mac]Installing R on Mac OS X.1

Thomas Lumley tlumley@u.washington.edu
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:16:45 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Marc Hannebert wrote:

> Since December 22th, I'm trying to install R on my mac and it is not yet
> running...
> Where can I find a complete installation procedure (from A to Z) ?
>
> I understand that before installing R, Xfree86 (for example) or Xdarwin has
> to be installed first.
<complicated stuff>
> Probably I'm too used to Apple installations where any child could do it...

Perhaps you should start off with the Carbon version, for which the
procedure is more Mac-like.  It is apparently a bit slower than the Darwin
version but I'm happy with it even on an iBook.

(a) Go to
  http://cran.r-project.org
and follow the link
    MacOS (System 8.6 to 9.1 and MacOS X)
and then
    base

(b) Download
    rm140_FULL.sit

(c) On my Mac this automatically triggers the UnStuff process, or you may
have to click on the file icon to unstuff it.

(d) Drag the rm140_FULL folder to a suitable place in the Finder

(z) Optionally, drag the <R> icon from that folder to the dock.

	-thomas