[R-sig-hpc] Installing R-3.3 on a HPC cluster

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Tue May 10 12:44:02 CEST 2016

Ali Siavosh-Haghighi <siavoa01 at nyumc.org> writes:

> Hi Bjorn,
> Installing the bzip2 itself is not the problem. R>3.2.5 requires one of the
> headers in bzip2-devel. There is no source for bzip2-devel-1.0.6 (could not
> find it and I contacted the developer and no response yet).

The separation of software into "package" and "package-devel" RPMs is
purely a desicion of the RPM package maintainer (and similar for debs).
When you install something from source, in almost all cases, you will
get the header files needed for compiling against it installed as well,
so you only need to set the LIBRARY_PATH and CPATH (and possibly
FPATH/CXXPATH) to compile against it, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use it
later.  (Typically, I'd do this in a module file.)

--
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,
Department for Research Computing, University of Oslo