[R-sig-hpc] gpus with foreach

Charles Determan cdetermanjr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:16:17 CEST 2016

Hi John,

I'm not sure about a package designed specifically for this but I have been
toying with the idea about how I could implement it with my GPU package
gpuR (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gpuR/index.html).  Do you
have at least as many CPUs and GPUs?  If so, that should make the
implementation easier.  Essentially this would consist of using the
'setContext' function within each fork generated by foreach corresponding
to different GPU.  There is an existing issue on my it repo regarding
selection of specific GPUs (https://github.com/cdeterman/gpuR/issues/9).
Once I have a user willing to test my code (I only have one GPU personally)
I can finalize that feature and it is theoretically plausible to use
foreach with my package on your GPUs.

If you are interested we may want to move this conversation off-list since
this would be developmental.

Regards,

Charles Determan PhD
Data Scientist