[R-sig-hpc] Fwd: Basic PBS question

Brian Smith bsmith030465 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 21:09:52 CET 2014

Thanks Sean. I run into trouble when installing the packages. After
invoking R, I try to install the packages - with mixed success:

> install.packages("parallel")
Installing package into ‘/nv/dom/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.1’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Warning message:
package ‘parallel’ is not available (for R version 3.1.0)

> install.packages("Rmpi")
Installing package into ‘/nv/dom/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.1’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/src/contrib/Rmpi_0.6-5.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 102182 bytes (99 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 99 Kb

* installing *source* package ‘Rmpi’ ...
** package ‘Rmpi’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
.
.
checking for mpi.h... yes
Trying to find libmpi.so or libmpich.a ...
checking for main in -lmpi... no
libmpi not found. exiting...
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘Rmpi’
* removing ‘/nv/dom/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.1/Rmpi’

The downloaded source packages are in
    ‘/tmp/RtmpSGvCff/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages("Rmpi") :
  installation of package ‘Rmpi’ had non-zero exit status

The packages ‘foreach’ and ‘snow’ installed ok, although i’m not sure how
well snow will do, given that I get errors on trying to install Rmpi.

Any suggestions for these? Or where I should go from here?

thanks!