[R-sig-hpc] Error installing Rmpi over OpenMPI: Cannot find orted

Alejandro Gonzalez aleco.gt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:21:36 CET 2014

Hello List, this is my first message but I've been using your help for a
while, thank you.

I have a cluster of Ubuntu 14.04 machines with OpenMPI and I'm not being
able to install Rmpi.

Here are some more specs of my system:
- I installed from sources Torque 4.2.9 and Maui 3.3.1
- OpenMPI version is 1.8.2 (I installed this one from source too)
- R version is 3.0.2 (This was installed with apt-get install)

When I try to install Rmpi:
$ sudo R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.6-3.tar.gz
--configure-args="--with-mpi=/opt/openmpi"

I get the following:
---
* installing to library ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
* installing *source* package ‘Rmpi’ ...
checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... none needed
Trying to find mpi.h ...
Found in /opt/openmpi/include
Trying to find libmpi.so or libmpich.a ...
Found libmpi in /opt/openmpi/lib
checking for orted... no
configure: error: Cannot find orted. Rmpi needs orted to run.
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘Rmpi’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rmpi’
---

I've read the Rmpi news,
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Problem-installing-Rmpi-with-Open-MPI-tt4641762.html#none
and http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2012/04/10840.php and
then tried to install Rmpi using a new build of OpenMPI, that I configured
this way:
$ ./configure --with-tm=/opt/torque --prefix=/opt/openmpi_disable_dlopen
--disable-dlopen
But I got the same error (configure: error: Cannot find orted. Rmpi needs
orted to run.).

Am I doing something wrong? Do you have a clue on how can I install Rmpi?
I'd also want to understand more about what does --disable-dlopen mean, why
it's necessary for Rmpi and what happens when I run other MPI software when
OpenMPI has been configured with --disable-dlopen. May you share me some
reading?

Thanks in advance.
Alejandro