[R-sig-hpc] Intel Phi Coprocessor?

ivo welch ivo.welch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 17:43:27 CEST 2013

thx, simon.

> No, parallel does not use threads. multicore forks off a process from the current session, all the other methods create a new process, send the data to it etc.

there is a paragraph in the library(parallel) package description (apr
18, 2013) that says

On Windows the default is to report the number of logical CPUs. On
modern hardware (e.g.
Intel Core i7 ) the latter may not be unreasonable as hyper-threading
does give a significant
extra throughput.

I took this to mean that threads are useful.

> However, with so few cores that i5/i7 have I would certainly go for more. If you want real speed, you have to pay much more ;)

depressingly more.  the 6-core or 8-core xeon are now 2-gen old (still
based on Sandy Bridge).  haswell only exists in 4-core, though.  and
ivy bridge-E is delayed to later.  maybe amd kaveri will be a quantum
leap...again next year.  alas, I am getting so old, I just hope to
still be alive by then.  if my computer is twice as fast, maybe I can
write twice as many papers until next year...[= weird sense of humor]
I am now wondering what the smallest form-factor i7-haswell board and
formfactor is to patch together a few of them.  I wish there was a
good 5--motherboard chassis, but they don't exist.  I guess I will
need 5 SFFs.

> At least with gcc I found this to be a mixed bag, sse is certainly faster, but although avx can in theory speed double-precision arithmetics, it can also slow it down quite a bit, so for now I have only found MKL to use AVX to be consistently faster, but not the gcc or llvm compilers. This may change as the compilers get better ... hopefully ...

I tried gcc with more compile optimization flags and sse2.  dirk e
predicted correctly that it would make little difference above the
stock binary R distribution.  :-(..

I don't understand enough about the internals of intel processors,
compilers, and R, but it is surprising to me that with all the focus
on vector processing, all the various MMX instruction derivatives
still seem to make little difference in R in 2013.  what exactly is
the default here?  are we still using the old intel 80387
instructions, "just" better optimized for a vector language like R?