[R-sig-hpc] MPICH2 best practices?

George Ostrouchov ostrouchovg at ornl.gov
Thu Apr 18 17:26:19 CEST 2013

Hi Rodney:

Both OpenMPI and MPICH are implementations of the MPI standard for
cluster communication. There are also vendor implementations, such as
SGI's MPT. Both Rmpi and pbdMPI (and rest of pbdR packages) work with
either implementation. From inside R, there is no syntactical difference
between the implementations.

MPI is really intended for batch runs on a cluster. That said, a few R
packages (including snow and Rmpi) have tools to run MPI interactively
in a manager-workers style by keeping scripts active on the workers.

If you are willing to run in batch with "mpirun Rscript ...", consider
the pbdDEMO package as a way to get started through examples. In my
opinion this is a much simpler way to do parallel computing on clusters.
It is also the way MPI is used by the mainstream parallel computing
community. You can also use the parallel package (it's multicore side)
within MPI for a second level of parallelism.

Cheers,
George

--
George Ostrouchov, Ph.D.