[R-sig-hpc] MPICH2 best practices?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Apr 18 16:34:56 CEST 2013

Hi Gang:

We recently have created an MPI cluster of 4 Linux servers running
MPICH2 v1.2.1.  I have tested MPI and it is working.  I have been using
the parallel package in my scripts up to now.  But, I would like to
switch to something that will allow me to run my R scripts on the new
MPI cluster.

I have managed to install Rmpi and I have been studying it.
However, I am wondering if Rmpi is the right way to go.  Rmpi seems
to assume OpenMPI, but I don't know if that matters.  I've never
used OpenMPI so I don't know if it is really that different:  it
is still MPI so it can't be that different, right?  I've been looking
at other packages too like snow et al.

It's a lot to digest and I am having dyspepsia ;o)  Anyways, any
advice, tips, etc. for an MPI newbie who uses R are very welcome.
Thanks

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor