[R-sig-hpc] compiling R 2.15.0 to link to open MPI

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Apr 11 14:58:40 CEST 2012

Jim Maas wrote:
> I use R in parallel on a cluster.  Our Sys Op has compiled the versions
> for me, up to R 2.13.1 against openMPI libraries so that I can run
> programmes across 404 cores.  I've just asked him to compile 2.15 for me
> but he can't find how to connect it to openMPI.  Has that capability
> disappeared or has the method of connecting changed?
>
> Thanks

Hi Jim:

Well, from my experience, you don't link OpenMPI/MPICH2/etc. with the
R binary per se.  You build R the usual way.  And, then you do an
R CMD INSTALL Rmpi.tgz

At that stage, you will need to be concerned with whether the
appropriate headers and libraries exist.  This step will give somewhat
informative feedback about that.

Rodney