[R-sig-hpc] [zeromq-dev] rzmq package

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 29 17:16:56 CEST 2011

On 29 September 2011 at 15:02, Michael Spiegel wrote:
| On a related note, I've submitted a patch to the R-devel mailing list that should offer some performance improvements to the serialize/unserialize interface. It reorganizes the code so that vectors are serialized as bulk operations, instead of the current implementation that serializes one element of the vector at a time. I haven't gotten any feedback yet from the R-devel mailing list.

Two thumbs way up from me for that post, by the way. I meant to microblog
about it as a great example of narrow, well-focussed, well-executed (AFAICT,
haven't patched it in) patch with an obvious speedup.

| I'm using the serialize/unserialize strategy for an MPI interface. My next step is to try to implement compression into the serialization protocol.

Nice.

Good to see MPI getting some love among all the kids shouting hadoop all day :)

Dirk

--
New Rcpp master class for R and C++ integration is scheduled for
San Francisco (Oct 8), more details / reg.info available at