[R-sig-hpc] undesired forking from either doMC, foreach or multicore

Michael Braun braunm at mit.edu
Thu Jan 6 23:04:53 CET 2011

Hi, all:

I've been using foreach and plyr with the DoMC backend for a few months now, and I regularly get the following error:

The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec().
Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug.

This message will appear once for every active thread.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to replicate it on demand, so I cannot prepare a useful test case.  The way I deal with this is to exit R, find all the remaining existing R jobs, and kill them, one by one, by job number.  But this is rather tedious.

I see that this is problem is mentioned in the DoMC into vignette, but I am wondering if there is a simple command, from within R, that will "clean up" any remaining multicore-spawned R jobs that might have been called, before I call some more. I don't think I've ever had this problem on the first foreach/plyr loop in a session, but sometimes I do on the second.  Or maybe not. A useful alternative to an R command to clean up the jobs would be something to run from the bash shell.

I am running on Mac OSX 10.6, on a 12-core 2010-vintage Mac Pro.  SessionInfo() is

R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] plyr_1.4        doMC_1.2.1      multicore_0.1-3 foreach_1.3.0   codetools_0.2-2 iterators_1.0.3

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Michael Braun
Homer A. Burnell (1928) Career Development Professor,
	and Assistant Professor of Management Science (Marketing Group)
MIT Sloan School of Management
100 Main St.., E62-535
Cambridge, MA 02139
braunm at mit.edu