[R-sig-hpc] increasing max number of socket connections

Vinh Nguyen vqnguyen at uci.edu
Mon Mar 29 18:15:18 CEST 2010

I use R with snow + Rmpi + openmpi + SGE for my parallel computing
needs.  I specify many cores per job and this seems to be the easiest
route (you don't need to specify the list of nodes really, you just
specify the number of cores you need), not to mention fair allocation
of resource among multiple users via SGE.  David Smith from Revolution
Computing shared the document on how they set this up.  I documented
my own experiences at
http://supernerdycool.blogspot.com/2010/01/scheduled-parallel-computing-with-r-r.html

Vinh

from gmane.comp.lang.r.hpc by Brian G. Peterson

Wouldn't using an external system such as pvm, MPI, or NetworkSpaces
make more sence than socket clusters using SNOW?  My experience is that
SNOW socket clusters are quite useful on a small scale, and quite
fragile on a large scale...

Regards,

     - Brian