[R-sig-hpc] launch cluster interactively?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Sep 17 00:45:25 CEST 2009

On 16 September 2009 at 12:25, Whit Armstrong wrote:
| Is it no longer possible to start a cluster interactively with MPI?
| I just tried to run an old script interactively, but it now fails.
|
| warmstrong at research:~$ R
| > library(Rmpi)
| > library(snow)
| >  cl <- makeCluster(4,"MPI")
| [research:08918] [[33202,1],0] routed:binomial: Connection to lifeline
| [[33202,0],0] lost
| warmstrong at research:~$
|
| our MPI setup works with slurm and orterun.  I just can't seem to start the
| cluster from an existing R session.
|
| R 2.8.1, openMPI 1.3, ubuntu 9.04.

My memory is a little foggy about the issues, but I think that Open MPI 1.3
changed something here.  I think you need the 'outer call' setup I use is
most (all ?)  of my tutorial examples -- and littler is good for that
scripting use.

That said, there are snow and Rmpi setup functions where you explicitly list
hostnames. Those may work too.  Posting of working examples is encouraged :)

Dirk