[R-sig-hpc] Rmpi on Mac OS X 10.5.8 dual core machine

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Wed Nov 18 20:09:44 CET 2009

Hi,

I decided to experiment with Rmpi on my dual core machine (Mac OS X
10.5.8).

So, I try the usual:

library(Rmpi)
mpi.spawn.Rslaves()

and let R "sit there"... I expected the R process to be idle, but for
my surprise it uses, at least, 70% of CPU.

Is this an expected behavior? I'm currently assuming I'm missing
something obvious.

Also, on a Mac OS X system, is Rmpi supposed to work without LAM?

Hao Yu's page makes me think it is a requirement, but, on my system,
it found OpenMPI, so I didn't install LAM....

Comments,