[R-sig-hpc] libmpi.so OR libmpich.a

Brian O'Gorman Brian.O'Gorman at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 12 19:52:02 CET 2009

I'm having trouble with the following command. Could anyone offer a
solution as I am unable to find the missing libraries? Thanks.

R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-7.tar.gz

The command returns

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
I am here /usr/local
Try to find mpi.h ...
Found in /usr/local/include
Try to find libmpi.so or libmpich.a
checking for main in -lmpi... no
libmpi not found. exiting...

The machine I'm on is, from uname

Linux wfe2 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 #1 SMP Mon Oct 6 16:34:16 GMT 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux