[R-sig-hpc] public place to gather info?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 20 03:55:05 CEST 2009

Ross,

On 19 May 2009 at 13:59, Ross Boylan wrote:
| Is there a public wiki, or something similar, where we could collect
| tips on HPC?
|
| We have a wiki for our cluster, and I've started putting stuff I find
| (often with help from this list!) out there .  Some of it is specific to
| our particular setup (Debian Lenny), but I imagine much of it isn't.
| There's one page for OpenMPI (obviously a broader audience than R users)
| and another on (parallel) R.
|
| The wiki is only accessible to our local members, which seems a bit
| unsociable.

Why don't you start at http://wiki.r-project.org ?  It's after all a wiki for
the R community.

| Any alternatives?  There is a bit of a category problem, since the
| topics relate to Debian, HPC, R, and MPI.

I see no problem at all. The HPC/R/MPI aspects should be cross-distro, and
even the Debian/Ubuntu aspects may have some bearing on other distros if and
when they use the same library patches.

| If I have time, I'll send patches up to the Debian packages, and those
| might migrate upstream someday.  The advantage of the wiki is that is

a) Make sure you test and apply them to _current sources_ and lenny.

b) If you want them to go upstream, feel free to send them upstream. I try
   not to accumulate Debian-specific patches in R, Rmpi

| available rapidly, and easier to get many people's knowledge and
| corrections.
|
| P.S. My latest discovery is that set.seed is a no-op after you've
| initialized rsprng's generator.

Yes, wasn't that the point of (r)sprng ?

Dirk