[R-sig-hpc] some notes on using R in Amazon's EC2

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue May 19 13:49:11 CEST 2009

[ Bob posted this to r-sig-finance, it's relevant here too so I am taking
  the liberty of reposting it here (with an small editorial change to the
  'official'  R / Finance URL.     -- Dirk, wearing his listmaster hat  ]

This is a follow up to a lecture I gave at the recent R/Finance 2009
Conference in Chicago
http://www.rinfinance.com/.

I have prepared some informal notes for those familar with R but not
with Amazon's EC2 service about using R with EC2.  Please see:

http://blog.rgrossman.com/2009/05/17/running-r-on-amazons-ec2/

There is also a publically available Amazon AMI with R and several
time series packages installed.
The manifest is "opendatagroup/r-timeseries.manifest.xml" and the AMI
instance “ami-ea846283″.  The notes contain more details.

I'll be revising the notes, so I'm interested in any feedback.

--Bob

Robert Grossman

Open Data Group &
University of Illinois at Chicago