[R-sig-hpc] distributed R on EC2, designing the software stack

Saptarshi Guha saptarshi.guha at gmail.com
Sat May 2 21:00:44 CEST 2009

Hello,
I've been testing R across clusters and will execute some more in
depth tests over the weekend.
However, it depends on what Instance Types you use (types and cost:
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/)

I used a cluster of 15 "standard large instance", for less than  1 hr,
which cost me $6. Intra EC2 bandwidth is free (in the same region),
and downloading a GB from outside of the EC2 is ~$0.1 per GB. So, yes,
depending on the budget (i'm a grad student and it is turning out to
be expensive) it can easily run into hundreds of dollars on a monthly
basis if used regularly.

Keep in mind that if you have a web service running on an instance and
check the website (e.g cluster status monitoring) from outside the EC2
an expense is incurred. Also as soon as the instance is up and running
you're being charged. Do not forget to terminate them!

I'll be tabulating my performance and expenditure in the coming week.

Hope it helps
Saptarshi Guha