[R-sig-hpc] Problems Installing Rmpi on openSUSE 11.1 x86_64

Rowe, Brian Lee Yung (Portfolio Analytics) B_Rowe at ml.com
Fri Jun 26 16:28:00 CEST 2009

Hi Melwin,

A couple additional points:
1. mpicc is available in LAM/MPI as well, so you ought to try using that to compile Rmpi
2. Are you talking about spawning R slaves across multiple machines from within an interactive R session? This is quite possible in OpenMPI, as I do this regularly. When calling R directly, you are limited to spawning slaves on the same host as the master. If you use mpirun to start R (still interactive session), you can launch slaves on remote hosts as well. The main issue with OpenMPI is that the R processes utilize 100% of the processor that it was initialized on. For certain environments, this may not be acceptable.

HTH,
Brian