[R-sig-hpc] Problems Installing Rmpi on openSUSE 11.1 x86_64

Melwin win at comets.de
Fri Jun 26 09:13:28 CEST 2009

Thanks for the reply.

2009/6/24 Rowe, Brian Lee Yung (Portfolio Analytics) <B_Rowe at ml.com>:
> Did you confirm that your MPI installation is working? That is the
> probably the first step.
LAM seems to work ok:
   johnson at linuxmodel:~> lamboot -v

   LAM 7.1.4/MPI 2 C++/ROMIO - Indiana University

   n-1<4165> ssi:boot:base:linear: booting n0 (localhost)
   n-1<4165> ssi:boot:base:linear: finished
   johnson at linuxmodel:~> lamexec C hostname
   linuxmodel

> Regarding LD_LIBRARY_PATH, since I don't know what your configuration
> is, make sure you export it to your environment and also don't overwrite
> any existing values.
>  i.e. This is better:
>  $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> since it looks like you're on a 64 bit platform.

Tried that. Same results as before:
   johnson at linuxmodel:~>     R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-7.tar.gz
   * Installing to library
'/home/johnson/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.8'
   * Installing *source* package 'Rmpi' ...
   checking for gcc... gcc
   checking for suffix of executables...
   checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
   I am here /usr
   Try to find mpi.h ...
   Found in /usr/include
   Try to find libmpi.so or libmpich.a
   checking for main in -lmpi... no
   libmpi not found. exiting...
   ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rmpi'
   ** Removing '/home/johnson/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.8/Rmpi'

> I use OpenMPI and it include an mpi-based compiler which I found to work
> better than gcc directly. You might try that. Just make sure you export
> your MPI_ROOT.
I would love to use OpenMPI, but I gather the slave spawning from within R
is not yet possible - which is what I need in interactive mode
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-hpc/2009-February/000104.html). I'd
love to hear that this has changed.

> It would also probably help to include a bit more output
> from the compilation process.
The dump above contains the entire output, I hope that helps.

thanks again,
Melwin