[R-sig-hpc] How to install R on a linux cluster.

Markus Schmidberger schmidb at ibe.med.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Apr 22 08:39:51 CEST 2009

The multicore package  was released in January 2009, we did the review
in end of 2008 )-:
Multicore has a great performance. I hope to present some results at the
UseR2009 conference. At the moment I use the super-computer HLRBII at
the LRZ in Munich, Germany (>9000 processors). There I have a 510 core
multi-processor machine. Unfortunately we have some strange
OS-load-balancing problems with the combination of R, PBS and Intel
Compiler and more than 50 processors. Attached some first results with
60 nodes. Up to 50 nodes snow and multicore have the identical
performance. If you have problems which require a lot of memory and they
can share the memory, than multicore has the better performance (snow
than requires a lot of communication).

Best
Markus