[R-sig-hpc] [R] torque/psb & snow library

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Wed Oct 22 18:37:37 CEST 2008

You may or may not see speed substantial improvements using Rmpi with
(or without) snow but you might -- depends on how the cluster is
configured, what version of MPI, etc.

In my experience using snow with sockets, pvm, or LAM/MPI for typical
computations running an a multi-core machine vs remote machines
doesn't make much difference.  IF it does then you may have too much
communicationrelative to computation and that mey need to be resolved
no matter who you do things if you are to see good speedups.

The development version of snow on my website

     http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/cluster/snow_0.3-4.tar.gz

includes some experimental visualization tools that may help see what
is going on.  Do

    v <- snow.time(... your computation ...)
    plot(v)

and you get a Gantt chart of the computation.

Best,

luke

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, jgarcia at ija.csic.es wrote:

> Thanks you! I'll look at this new list!
> Well, I'm not the system administrator, and my installation of Rmpi and/or
> pvm libraries for R crashes. As this is the first time I parallelize some
> jobs, snow appealed as a first approach because 1) it compiled correctly
> and 2) the use of the library is very easy.
>
> As you tell me MPI is faster, I'll retry Rmpi installation.
> B. Regards,
> Javier
>
>> Hi Javier,

>> This is probably a better list for your question.
>>
>> I never tried torque with socket. We use torque and mpi or pvm (and R)
>> and it is working very well.
>> Why do you use socket as communication layer?
>> MPI was especially developed for communication between nodes in a
>> computer cluster. And there you can specify which nodes and the number
>> of processors per node you want use. Therfore I would strongly recommend
>> to use MPI. This will be faster in every condition!
>>
>> Best
>> Markus
>>

>> jgarcia at ija.csic.es wrote:
>>> Hello all;
>>> I'm trying to execute parallel jobs trough library snow on a cluster
>>> built
>>> through torque/PSB. I'm succesfully obtaining the cluster with:

>>> The only problem, at the moment, is that if I use processors in nodes
>>> other that the one in which I'm running R, the communication is
>>> extremely
>>> slow. If all processor are in the "master" computer there not seems ti