[R-sig-hpc] Rmpi does only finds only master

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 10:20:56 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Markus Schmidberger
<schmidb at ibe.med.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> how do you start R?

Hi Hao, Markus

Both of you were spot on - the problem was that I have to orterun or
mpirun to start the job.
But I still have a problem: on the cluster, I have to use

module add openmpi_gnu

to adjust the paths to make the openmpi implementation visible (and usable).
But this is only done on the head, and not on the nodes. Is it somhow
possible to execute that command on each node on which snow creates a
node?

below the code I use and the output:

When I try to execute code in R, I get the following error:

rkrug at head001:~/Documents/examples/R> orterun -n 1 --hostfile ~/MPIhostfile R.r
bash: orted: command not found
[head001:28028] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file
base/pls_base_orted_cmds.c at line 275
[head001:28028] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file
pls_rsh_module.c at line 1166
[head001:28028] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file errmgr_hnp.c at line 90
[head001:28028] ERROR: A daemon on node comp001 failed to start as expected.
[head001:28028] ERROR: There may be more information available from
[head001:28028] ERROR: the remote shell (see above).
[head001:28028] ERROR: The daemon exited unexpectedly with status 127.
[head001:28028] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file
base/pls_base_orted_cmds.c at line 188
[head001:28028] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file
pls_rsh_module.c at line 1198
orterun was unable to cleanly terminate the daemons for this job.
Returned value Timeout instead of ORTE_SUCCESS.
rkrug at head001:~/Documents/examples/R>

The file R.r:
#################
## R.r
#!/export/home/rkrug/bin/r
library(Rmpi)
library(snow)

                                                 cl <-
makeMPIcluster(4)
res <- clusterCall(
        cl,
        function() {
                Sys.info()["nodename"]
        }
        )
print(do.call(rbind,res))

My idea was to
"add module openmpi_gnu

for each node which the file R.r is using, but as the file R.sub is
only executed on one node and then, within R.r, starts the processes
on the other nodes, this does obviously not work.

Thanks

Rainer