[R-gui] Workspace files

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Oct 20 10:41:13 CEST 2009

Virgil Stokes wrote:
> I am not sure that this posting is appropriate for this list. If not, I
> would appreciate information on what R language group that it should be
> posted to.
>
> I received a workspace file (Benford.RData which is attached) that was
> created within RGui (R 2.9.2). There are several functions defined in
> this file; however, the creator of this workspace file has provided
> information that the first line of the original R text file contains:
>
> benford.probs <- logb(2:10, 10) - logb(1:9, 10)
>
> My questions are:
> 1) How can I actually display (see) this line within RGui (or an
> external editor)? (I might wish to edit it.)
> 2) What is the actual structure used for these workspace files (*.RData)?
>
> --Thank you,
> V. Stokes (a new comer to R)

(a) Yes, it's the wrong group. R-help is for general R questions like
this. R-gui for discussing graphical user interfaces.

(b) Workspaces are just that. They contain a set of objects created by
computations, not how they were generated. To see what has been done,
there may be a supplemental .Rhistory file, or the original .R script
file (+ raw data files).

(c) You don't really want to know the structure of .RData files. They
contain a serialized encoding of internal R structures. The gory details
are in the source code (src/main/serialize.c), if you insist.

(d) Now why didn't he just do diff(log10(1:10)) ?