[R-gui] Simple way to ask user for text string with R-commander plugin ?

Ulrike Grömping groemping at bht-berlin.de
Mon May 4 14:45:34 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I am just making my first steps in Rcmdr plugin programming and tcltk,
please bear with me, this may be a very basic question.

My problem: From within a larger interface within R-commander (tk
notebook with several pages, where the user can make many inputs), I
want to allow interim storage of inputs (as a list within the R
workspace). I want to allow the user to specify a name for this list. As
this is something people shouldn't have to bother with unless they
decide on storing, I would like the name to be asked in some popup
dialogue.

I haven't found any standard widgets that are intended for this purpose,
are there really none ?

I have therefore written a little dialogue with only one text entry box
and OK and Cancel button. I have so far managed to store the text
entered there (using assign and a fixed storage name), but I haven't
managed to make the dialog return the text or at least an indicator
whether the user pressed Cancel or OK. Rather, the return value from the
dialogue is always FALSE.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Ulrike