[R-gui] Seeking comments/testers for a new GUI

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 13:57:04 CEST 2009

What version of Windows and JGR did you try?  I haven't been able
to get JGR to work on Windows Vista with R 2.9 and JGR 1.6.7 or
JGR 1.6.6 (the prior version of JGR).

When I run jgr.exe it seems to install something the first time and
on subsequent calls to jgr.exe without arguments it tries to install
it again but fails.

Since calling it without args fails, I tried this as well as numerous
variations of arguments as well as using or not using
 R_LIBS, R_LIBS_USER, etc. e.g.

setlocal
set R_LIBS_USER=%USERPROFILE%\Documents\R\win-library\2.9
set R_HOME=C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-29~1.X
jgr.exe --libpath=%R_LIBS_USER% --rhome=%R_HOME%
endlocal

but in all cases JGR opens and then immediately closes.

With the prior version of JGR, 1.6.6, the above hung and I had to kill it with
task manager.   Also with the prior version of task manager if I removed
the R_LIBS_USER line then it would open but give a huge number of
errors and the user library would not be on .libPaths().