[R-gui] R GUI for Linux (using Java)

Sander Oom sander at oomvanlieshout.net
Sun Oct 29 17:50:55 CET 2006

Dear GJR(?),

Great initiative to start a platform independent GUI for R focussed on
Linux. I'm sure many users could benefit from this.

I have limited time for science, including R, since I started a job as a
consultant. However I am a member of the R GUI mailing list
(r-sig-gui at stat.math.ethz.ch). Send your messages to this mailing list,
and I am sure you will get helpful response. You will also get negative
attention to these and focus on the constructive critism. That will help
the make LinR a good program.

I would stick to the KISS principle. 'Keep it simple, stupid'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_Principle). A good editor with syntax
highlighting and commands to run R code in different ways. Stick to the
shortcut commands as used by other editors like KATE. A package manager
will be very useful. Be ware that ROOT priviliges are required!

If you would like to contribute to an existing program, than have a look
at JGR (http://rosuda.org/JGR):
JGR (speak 'Jaguar') is a universal and unified Graphical User Interface
for R (it actually abbreviates Java Gui for R). JGR was introduced at
the useR! meeting in 2004.
They seem to need support with the Linux port!

Is this just a coincidence with these letters J G R?

Hope this helps!

Sander.