[R-gui] R GUI question from new member

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sun Feb 19 19:54:19 CET 2006

Hi Luca,

I would suggest to work/enhance existing code rather that reinventing
the wheel. There are a couple of RGui projects, and you may found what
you are looking for in there. Look, at http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/
for a listing of various projects. You have GUIs written in Java,
Tcl/Tk, GTK, etc... there. Tcl/Tk is often used for convenience, because
the tcltk R package is available with (almost) all R distributions. So,
you don't need to install additional stuff. That is what makes Rcmdr so
easy to run on all platforms. If you want more advanced features, I
agree that there are better solutions (GTK, wxWidgets, etc).

May I suggest you to look here:
http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/wxPython/. This is a solution
using R and Python... in development and desperately seeking for a new
maintainer. This is not GTK, but wxWidgets, which is also a very good
solution. Regarding a substitute for Glade, you could consider Boa
Constructor. Look here: http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/RBoa/.
The explanation on this page is a little outdated. The latest version of
Boa Constructor is now compatible with wxPython 2.5.X. So, you don't
need to install Python/wxPython twice as explained in the page. Anyway,
using RSPython, you should be able to do what you want (mixing R, Python
and GTK).

Best,

Philippe Grosjean