[R-gui] Small annoyance while interacting with R

Pablo Winant pablo.winant at ens-lyon.org
Tue Oct 25 16:04:15 CEST 2005

Thank you all,

You understand my problem. I'm running a Linux terminal and unfortunately, the
option --ess does not exist on this plateform. (did you so Philippe for Tinn-R
?).
I have not fully understood if it's feasible to make R believe it is in
interactive mode. From the document about R extensions, I believe I could as a
workaround, talk to a C program embedding R. I must admit it is quite a
difficult task for me (I'm an economist) but I will give it a try.

Pablo

PS : my "program" in ruby under Linux was,

require 'open3'
rin,rout,rerr = Open3.popen3('R --vanilla --quiet')
rin.puts("2+4;")
rerr.gets # returns "2+4;\n" "6\n"