[R-gui] Platform-independent GUI for R... again

Pierre ECOCHARD p-eco at rocketmail.com
Wed Nov 10 16:42:23 CET 2004

> Following my two previous mails about Tinn-R and the
> R GUI API, I would like
> to start a discussion about the best toolkit and
> language to use to
> implement a GUI for R.
>
> Indeed, I am long waiting something around
> wxWidgets... But this seems to be
> further delayed:

(...)

> So, for now, I am still stuck with my Windows-only
> solution for a R GUI,
> just because I do not have the full combination of a
> complete IDE with a
> feature-rich-enough graphical toolkit and a flawless
> R communication with
> it. All I can do, is to move as much code as
> possible into R... Hence, the
> GUI API.
>
> Any idea? Any suggestion?

Perhaps you should consider KDE+QT. Most KDE
application can know easily be ported on windows
(native -- no need to install an X server), provided
someone has a QT licence. The Kexi project is a good
example (http://www.koffice.org/kexi/).

The RKWard project is active again since July
(http://rkward.sourceforge.net). It could do with more
developers, for sure.

Pierre