[R-gui] R-wxPython no longer needs parser.so!

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jun 23 19:00:34 CEST 2004

Hi,

After a bit of discussion about how to build Python from source
so that parser.so etc. depend on libpython2.2.so, I now have
a simpler next-step-forward for people interested in playing
with R-wxPython - I've removed all dependency to the Python
parser module in wxPython 2.2 at:
http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/wxPython/

(One other change - I've replaced the "print" generic functions
with "show".  "show" is more S4-style.)

There are certainly still some problems, maybe partly due to the
fact that I'm trying to make an object-oriented GUI toolkit look
imperative from the R command-line user's perspective.   But
aside from the problems, there's also some interesting progress!

With R-wxPython 2.2, now I can run the "Choose GUI toolkit"
example from the documentation, including a listbox with
scrollbars, and two buttons.  It doesn't actually appear
straight away, but when I issue another wxPython command
afterwards, like wxMessageBox("Hello"), then it appears (one
command too late), but the buttons don't work.  Same with the
"Text Editor" example - if I follow it with a call to
wxMessageBox() then it appears after the wxMessageBox() call,
but at least it appears, so that's something!

It's a bit hard to destroy these late-appearing windows/widgets
- wxClose, wxDestroy don't seem to work yet on R-wxPython with
Gtk/Linux, probably because of this 'delay' problem.  But for
me, running X11 from Windows via XWin32, there's always
"End Task" from the Windows Task Manager to kill a window,
(and similar for other OS's)! :)

Regards,
James

James Wettenhall                                  Tel: (+61 3) 9345 2629
Division of Genetics and Bioinformatics           Fax: (+61 3) 9347 0852
The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute         E-mail: wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
 of Medical Research,                     Mobile: (+61 / 0 ) 438 527 921
1G Royal Parade,
Parkville, Vic 3050, Australia
http://www.wehi.edu.au