[R-gui] Not a bug in Rcmdr, GUI for require(package)?

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Thu Jul 15 02:09:07 CEST 2004

Hi John,

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, John Fox wrote:
> implement it in a cross-platform manner. I don't know how to do that via
> tcltk or I'd offer to do it.

I think I know how to do it via Tcl/Tk, but if using Windows
with the GraphApp Rgui running (even in SDI), there are
likely to be some annoying focus-stealing problems
between GraphApp and Tcl/Tk because of some of the GraphApp
widgets that pop-up (e.g. progress bar) when you install a
package.

> On the other hand, if a user doesn't have an
> active Internet connection, how likely is it that he or she
> will be able to install missing packages?

Very likely for our workshops.  Many I.T. departments are
becoming more strict about not letting outsiders connect up
their laptops to the local network because of fears of viruses
and trojans.  So if we present a microarray workshop at a
conference where people bring their own laptops, we provide a CD
containing all of the necessary R packages for participants who
have failed to install the correct software beforehand.

Regards,
James