[R-gui] Not a bug in Rcmdr, GUI for require(package)?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 15 02:03:41 CEST 2004

Dear James,

At present, the Rcmdr package checks that required packages are present and
prints a message if they are not -- e.g., "The following packages required
by Rcmdr are missing: relimp."

What you suggest seems an improvement, and I think it would be best to
implement it in a cross-platform manner. I don't know how to do that via
tcltk or I'd offer to do it. On the other hand, if a user doesn't have an
active Internet connection, how likely is it that he or she will be able to
install missing packages? And for Windows users who do have an Internet
connection, it isn't too much of a leap to use the Packages menu (especially
if prompted by a message to do so!).

Regards,
 John