[R-gui] tcltk MDI

Peng Liu pliu3 at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jul 13 22:31:06 CEST 2004

Dear John,

Your Rcmdr gives me a good framework of R GUI. Those over 10 libraries
on which Rcmdr depends represent a good packing of existing R functions.

I am sorry that I did not clarify what MDI I mean. I did not expect to
open an Tcltk sub-window within current R MDI GUI. Probably, that needs to
recompile GraphApp. What I hope to have is, for example, Rcmdr itself can
be a MDI environment.

Since I am absolutely a newbie to Tcl, I am not available to figure it out
now. So I tried to find some existing example to start with. The ActiveTcl
does not have such an example. But I found one named mkWidgets, written by
Michael Kraus. You may find the sourceforge page at:
http://mkextensions.sourceforge.net/
Unfortunately, I have no idea about how to use that one through r-tcltk.

I just began to have interest on R GUI several days ago. After these days,
I choose to begin with R-Tcl/Tk. Because it might the most rapid way to
turn R into something like S+ or JMP. Moreover,
1) Programming based on GraphApp seems to not portable.
2) Using wxWindows through Python does not seem efficient to me. Anyway, I
   did not run any benchmarking. And wrapping wxWidget via Connect method
   needs solid C++ experience to write a S language parser.
3) I was not available to compile RGTk on Windows.
Therefore, currently, in order to rapidly make R have an S+ or JMP like
GUI, R-Tcl/Tk is the best choice. However, current R-Tcl/Tk examples given
by Peter and James are all in dialog-window-style. Therefore, I am looking
for some widgets like mkWidgets, and wish to know how to use it through
r-tcl/tk.

Cheers,
Peng