[R-gui] Editor in R and Windows focus problems

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 29 16:51:47 CEST 2004

I have to disagree with the assessment that identical interfaces across
platforms is the optimal situation. IMHO, the Windows version should
act like a Windows program, the Mac version like a Mac program and the
UNIX version like a UNIX program and so on. wxWindows makes the best of
the bad situation, but its still a local optimum at best. Better to get
R's core functionality out of the event loop business entirely and
switch to an embedding model---including moving graphics devices out of
the core and into packages (which seems to be happening slowly of its
own accord). Now that I'm thinking, a C-level interface to library()
might be a handy idea (s.t. a GUI could load GUI specific packages,
such as graphics devices) towards that end.

I realize it sounds like I'm advocating interface anarchy. I am to some
extent, but this could be mitigated by the establishing of an R Human
Interface Guidelines (HIG) a la, Microsoft or Apple or Red Hat. This
could mandate certain things such as menu items while still allowing
platform specific discretion (a good example might be preferences---a
Windows preferences interface is much different that its OS X
counterpart) and features. Conveniently we seem to have a mailing list
for this sort of thing right here. ;-)