[R-gui] Editor in R and Windows focus problems

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 29 16:41:42 CEST 2004

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> John,
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:15:10AM -0400, John Fox wrote:
> > Dear Philippe, Duncan, et al.,
> >
> > I hesitate to volunteer other people's work, but I wonder whether it isn't
> > time to think about replacing the GraphApp-based Rgui as the standard
> > interface to R under Windows. In particular, it occurs to me that a
> > scaled-down version of Philippe's SciViews -- including a basic set of
> > menus, the Syn text editor, and perhaps an object browser -- would provide a
> > superior interface. Of course, there may be obstacles that I don't
> > understand.
>
> That won't work as it is Windows-only. IIRC even Philippe now acknowledges
> that this is suboptimal.
>
> AFAICT the emerging consensus has been for quite some time to move to
> wxWindows (now called wxWidgets). But someone needs to do the work...

2 things. If you want to be integrated into applications
like GGobi, AbiWord, Gnumeric, etc., i.e. the Gtk-based
applications  you want the same look and feel and so want
to be Gtk-based. Similarly, if you want to be connected
to KWord, KSpread, etc. Qt is where you want to be.
These are not important for building stand-alone GUIs
for R, but it is more important if we are interested
in integration with other applications and/or  communities.
Tk works fine if we aren't interested in native look and feel
of other applications.

The Mozilla framework is now emerging as something to consider.
The idea that wxWindows is the place to go may have been made
quite some time ago.
BTW, we may have a way to greatly reduce the work to interface
to wxWindows via automating the bindings.