[R-gui] Editor in R and Tk/Windows focus problems

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Apr 8 14:23:49 CEST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 23:35:54 +1000 (EST), wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU wrote
>While I think a Tcl/Tk IDE/script editor for R is a great idea,
>Windows users may be concerned about the problem of Tk windows
>repeatedly hiding behind the RGui window (or RGui/GraphApp
>stealing the focus).

I'd suggest switching to SDI mode.

[ In another message...]

>So I found at least one way to keep Tk windows on top.  But it
>keeps them on top of everything (except for other always_on_top
>windows), not just RGui.

In 1.9.0, you'll be able (by a bringToTop() call, or a right click
menu entry) to designate any R SDI window to always stay on top.  One
problem we had at first was that dialogs would be hidden behind the
stay on top windows; I fixed that, but you'll still have that problem
if you have a Tk window stay on top without asking an R window to stay
on top.

Duncan Murdoch