[R-gui] Status of the R-GUI

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Sep 14 01:38:57 MEST 2003

James,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:43:19AM +1000, James Wettenhall wrote:
> Just one last issue to mention: ease of installation.
> Currently, a typical user of my R/TclTk GUI will start with nothing -
> they will not have R, Tcl/Tk or any interesting R packages
> installed. (I should note that I used the tkTable and bwidget
> extensions which are not bundled with R.)  Is anyone out
> there working on installation wizards for their favorite operating
> system(s)?  I personally do not have installation privileges so

I am currently preparing a new release of Quantian, the Knoppix /
clusterKnoppix based bootable cdrom. Among all it scientific / numerical
software is of course R with tcltk and an increased number of CRAN packages
such as tkrplot or Rcmdr -- but also iwidgets, bwidget, and tktable.  So in
your case all you'd need is to download your application code and date, say
from a webpage or NFS share, and you'd be done. At least in theory :) .

In preparation for 0.4, a version 0.3.9.1 is currently going to the server
at the U of Washington.  This will take another few hours to crawl up
through my residential broadband line, but should be fine once you're back
at work.

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx