[R-gui] Re: Status of the R-GUI

Mark Myatt mark at myatt.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 13:23:36 MEST 2003

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

 > Have you looked at Rcmdr? It's is a ready-to-roll CRAN package
 > using tcltk.

In reponse to this message from Carter Cheng:

>>I just recently joined this mailing list and I
>>apologize if this has been addressed recently. I am
>>curious about the current maturity of alternate R
>>GUI's and the underlying frameworks that allow one to
>>define alternate GUI's which are slightly more feature
>>rich.
>>
>>I already use R for much of my current work, but it
>>would be nice if there were some sort of a user
>>friendly GUI for more common tasks ala SPSS's GUI for
>>less technically sophisticated/computer oriented
>>users- i.e. medical professionals and the ilk.
>>
>>Are there any such current efforts out there?

Just to add my tuppence ... I see the main strength of R as being a
language environment rather than a "buttons and boxes" environment. It
may be useful to have a GPL "buttons and boxes" stats environment. My
preference would be for a powerful "IDE" type environment.

Mark

--
Mark Myatt