[R-gui] Re: Java R Gui

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Oct 13 12:36:01 MEST 2003

SciViews is still on the road, although its development was slower these
last few months. A new version and several new ideas will be proposed
current of next year. However, the project is progressing very slowly partly
because there are very few programmers involved (two for the moment). I plan
to reorient the project (currently build as a coherent GUI environment
around SciViews Insider, which is written in Visual Basic 6). The double bad
side-effect is: (1) Few programmers can and want to collaborate to a project
whose language is Visual Basic, and (2) there are too few relations with
other projects like tcltk library, RCmdr, R-WinEdt, Sweave,...

Learning from this experience, the future release of SciViews will be
oriented towards various separate tools to supplement R with GUI features,
and other languages are used to develop these tools (for instance,
electronic reference cards are developped mainly in HTML / ECMAScript. I am
currently working on a SciViews R package that will propose an object
explorer, electronic reference cards,... and a brand-new nice GUI feature we
develop together with Eric Lecoutre... more about that at a later time.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean