[R-gui] Re: Java R Gui

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Oct 12 18:40:05 MEST 2003

> How good is Java these days for that sort of thing? I
> remember playing around with the original Swing JDK
> and wasn't particularly impressed (this was a long
> time ago obviously). I am also somewhat interested in
> a serious R GUI development effort. I think it would
> be nice to have some sort of GUI for R which would
> make R accessible to a wider audience.
>

> > Check out:
> > http://obversive.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > They have a not-totally functional demo for Windows
> > and Unix platforms.

Actually, it's no longer Java. Rather it's using the FOX-library, which is
cross-platform, mean and lean, but also lacking some higher-level widgets
such as an HTML-viewer or RTF-editor.

Note that obversive is currently on ice, as the developers don't have much
time to work on it. It's not yet dead and burried, however.

Thomas